Ok so I know I am REALLY behind on my postings and I really want to post but it has really been a busy week. There are so many things to juggle that I have let the cell phone talking and computer time fall by the way-side.
My birthing story is forever long! Here is the quick version... later I may go into more details.
I checked into the hospital on Saturday (12/19) at 3pm and they started cervidil once I was situated in my room. I woke up Sunday morning (12/20) to start pitocin (around 7-8am). Close contractions really started around 9am. Water broke at 9:30am. I was given my epidural at 11am. Nurses said I dilated very quickly (which is good) and was told to start labor at 1:30pm. However I was not fully ready to start labor until 2:50, which is when the labor started and did not stop until he was born at 6:13pm. By the way... he came out sunny side up which is one of the reasons for the LONG labor. He is a stubborn little boy as they would turn him and he would turn himself back around.
Labor lasted 3 and a half hours straight... so that means Carter was in my birth canal that entire time and it caused a lot of stress on him which led to his problems. They put Carter on IV at first because they thought he caught an infection from me but that was ruled out. They think his vital signs were low due to the time period in the birth canal. Also he was projectile vomiting from the formula which led to me having to 100% breast milk which was very stressful at first but happy it happened now. He was in the NICU for 4 days but the nurses were awesome so we enjoyed our time at Northside Forsyth.
I am now 100% back on my feet well except for going up and down stairs. I have a very weak leg and do not have feeling back in a portion of it (around my knee). For example I have to use a cane to get up and down stairs. The docs think this happened due to Carter's head sitting on one of my nerves while in the birth canal.
Thanks all for your many thoughts and prayers during the time we were in the hospital... we felt each prayer!
Saturday, December 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I'm so glad everyone is ok. I want to come see you guys once things settle down more I finally have car yay!!! I miss you and give that little boy a kiss for me
ReplyDeleteStacy, what an experience....he will be a lover like Chandler! :) Chandler was sunny-side up also, but I turned him....remember we had natural child birth which was unusual in 1976! :) Also, he was born on a Sunday at 6:24...I cannot believe the similaritiies here. I love you so much, and am glad to know all is well except for your knee! :( Can't wait to see him in person!
ReplyDeleteWow - you had an intense labor. I hope that you're feeling better soon. Glad Carter is doing well now!
ReplyDelete